Thursday, February 15, 2007

Speaker

Today we had an assembly at my job...I work at a school. It was about bullying, more accurately, treating people like human beings that have feelings. It was really intense and I think they did a great job. In the end he had all the kids who have ever felt bullied come down and take the chains of this girl. Everyone went down. He then had everyone sign a tarp and to seek out anyone they may have hurt in the past and apologize...and some actually did. Kids were crying and hugging...and calm. They didn't leave right away. It was amazing. What really struck me throughout the presentation was the hurt in all these kids, both in the movies shown and the kids in the gym. They felt alone. One slide even said, "I wish I was still close to God." I know where that girl is. It is a terribly painful place to not know for certainty or to realize that he is still right here and will never leave. This really showed me the need. I have always known there was a need, but never has it been so apparent or real. I guess I get so wrapped up in my own selfish needs, I neglect the assignment that God has given me. Lord help me to not just see but to do. Provide opportunities and prepare hearts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool, indeed. Even if they hadn't mentioned anything about God, it's so obvious that kids need Him so badly. I see it in my kid's school, too (BTW, I never mention his name on blogs).
Everyone is empty and desperate when you get right down to the brass tacks.

angely said...

Just curious...why not mention names? Are you talking about your kid...if so...I know...NO NAME FOR YOU!! lol

S.B.G. said...

I saw them do that exercise with the kids on a recent Dateline. I only caught part of it, but it's clearly one way of bringing kids together to face issues that would normally never be addressed. Tough age, especially if you're without God in your life~